Wednesday, June 2, 2010

First post...

... from Africa!

Okay. Just so you know, Becky is a much better writer and is way more interesting to read than me. I am still practicing and Africa will probably help me.

Well, we made it! London was long and the flights were longer but once we were here, it made it totally worth it. I am going to upload video as soon and I can get to it. Also, the internet is not that great so videos will probably happen infrequently (same with pictures). I am loving Africa though. When we were leaving the airport and I was looking out the window and watching the homemade pushcarts with huge piles of everything on it and the motorcycles with two people carrying large gasoline tanks on either side (for gas or water or something) and the people with bicycles riding on the highway it reminded me why I enjoy coming to third world countries. There is so much to learn from these people. They thrive on almost no income and little resources. I say "thrive" not because these people are rich or even have everything that they need, but if any western person was put into the same circumstance we would not last. The people in the so-called "third world" are much more resourceful and ingenious than anybody that I know of in the western world. They know so much more than we do. Everybody here speaks at least two languages, English and Kiswahili, and possibly the speak more. Though they may not have degrees and certificates, they can assemble and dissemble almost anything mechanical with just a few tools, they know how to farm, fix, harvest, breed, butcher, grow, negotiate, innovate and create.

Seeing this all around me is inspiring. If western culture could see the example of the so called "developing" countries, there might not even be a need for that "developing". If we used all that we had as wisely as many of the people here, we wouldn't have nearly the amount of problems that we have currently. I am excited to learn all that I can from them and be able to capture that with my camera. Thanks for your support and we will write soon and as often as we can.

3 comments:

Polly said...

Thanks for posting Travis, it is nice to read your perspective too!
Everything sounds great so far.

Mary said...

I am excited for a video!! Sounds super cool and fun. I watched a video in my Sociology class that was kind of based on the fact that 3rd world countries are in many ways better then modern countries and I can't agree more.

David and Carol Pitcher said...

It sounds like you are having the time of your life. What a great honeymoon that you didn't really get to have. Glad you are there safe and sound. Stay healthy and take care. We look forward to more news later. Love ya both!!!