Friday, January 9, 2009

Maxfield Concert 1-9-09

My favorite local band, goodmorningmaxfield, formally known as maxfield and currently known as fictionalist, just had their CD release party.  It was quite the extravaganza.  But, as always, a bit of backstory.
Three years ago, when I was quite interested in playing local music and listening to it, I stumbled upon a wonderful band called maxfield at a UVSC party music thing and I signed up for their email list.  I then attended numerous house shows (one where both of my legs fell asleep and upon trying to stand up I collapsed on three girls in front of me) and other venues of theirs.  I became friends with Andrew, the keyboardist and accordianist, and Stewart, guitar and lead vocals.  After a show, Andrew told me about how they were recording an EP in some persons basement and how they needed a "live" audience.  I thought, sure why not, and I went.  It was fun and long and quite educational.  They then accumulated more of a fan base, added a new drummer, guitarist, and a host of different people. Then I lost contact and by the time I came back, they were performing in the Austin City Limits as one of the top bands.  Now on their third CD and third name, Fictionalist (formally maxfield) is back.  
Always a pleaser these guys are great.  The music they play is much harder than what I usually listen to, but it brings out the rocker in me the way that Led Zeppelin does.  They are fun and amusing.  
Tonight was no exception.  After listening to the first band, which I can't remember the name of but they were pretty good, we were favored with the musical talents of Fictionalist.  There were so many people there and it smelled like sweat and bad breath but it was still quite enjoyable.  It was also incredibly warm there and so upon going outside I froze and chattered.  But over all it was great.  They played my favorite song as the last song, Spinning Wheel.  My camera had a problem half way through but I tried to edit it together so everybody can see it.  It is down below.  Overall, a wonderful, energy packed night.  Two sad things though.  Becky was by and they wouldn't let her in because it turned out that the place was about 100 people over the fire marshal limit.  The second bad thing is is that I didn't see Ben there either and I feel that they both would have enjoyed it and I would have enjoyed their company.  Anyways, there is always next time, and besides that you can listen to them here
http://goodmorningmaxfield.com/
It is their old site but I can't find their new one.
So check them out, go to their concerts because they are quite incredible, and support local music.  Thanks!
ps video and pics not up because my camera died and i can't find the charger.  bad day.  but soon to come.  i am looking...

No comments: