Friday, January 9, 2009

Sundance 09...

So, that wonderful and magical time of year has come yet again. The 25th annual Sundance Film Festival is starting next week and running for ten days (January 15-25, 2009). As a film student and aspiring filmmaker, I hope to be able to go and learn, network and enjoy what is being presented. Some people believe that Sundance might be a bit to "risque" in many different aspects and people worry because things are not rated. Word of advise, do your research and get over yourself. We do need to be careful about what we watch, but by judging a wonderful and informative film by one word or a touchy subject would be terrible. Anyways, I am on my box speaking and now I am done.
These are the films that I am seeing (hopefully) during the next two weeks. I did my research and I feel great about it.
Old Partner- A film about a Korean farmer and his livestock. Touching, original, sincere from what I can see. Here is the trailer that I found on YouTube today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxVGNx0xeEQ

The next film I want to see is by one of my favorite documentary directors, Doug Pray. He always highlights a creative subculture that is moving, changing and redefining the way that the rest of us think. I feel this film will be no different. Art and Copy is about some of the creative minds behind modern advertising over the past 40 years and how it has driven not only art, but our whole culture. I am really excited about this one because I am doing my best to get tickets to opening night on Monday and maybe I can meet him and talk doc. Anyways, I tried to find matierial to show more of. Sorry, I guess it is pretty secretive so there is not trailer, but you can read about Doug Pray at
www.dougpray.com

I am also satisfying the activist/environmentalist in me. Dirt: The Movie is a film advocating the cause of dirt (aka soil). It feels fun and loose and something important to see because of the amount of advocacy and environmental documentaries that are coming out. I have seen quite a few, but I feel that there will be more and I should educate myself on how they look and how they are done. Here is a link to their quirky and fun website.
www.dirtthemovie.org

I am also seeing the animated shorts program, because I love animation. I feel that it is always pushing stories and creativity and watching those is always creatively enhancing. There is also a documentary shorts program and I am ecstatic to see. These are short docs that I feel will help my own films become better. I will have a better idea about how to successfully do a festival film, which I plan on making within a year. This will be a great experience I feel.
Here is the link to an article about all the shorts programs.
http://festival.sundance.org/2009/news/article/the_2009_shorts_long_on_innovation_and_style/

All in all, I think it will be educational, entertaining, and plain ol' fun. If you want to go or suggest a film that you might want to go with me to, do it. I am up for things, though financially it will be interesting. But, oh well. You work and you spend money and you work some more. It will be worth it.
Link to sundance guide pdf download.
http://www.sundance.org/festival/filmguide/

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hi.
please take me with you to a film at sundance.
that is all. i don't think i can choose one, since i don't know what i might enjoy... but i would enjoy going to sundance.
also, i like your blog.

Kalli said...

Travis! I didn't know you had a blog!! How exciting! I have enjoyed reading your posts and catching up a little on your life.

So... I want to go to Sundance, but only if you let me drive, we go to olive garden, and we watch an hour long movie that has NO talking. Those are my conditions, take it or leave it.