Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Done with Kenya.........

... and moving on to Uganda.

Becky and I have completely enjoyed our stay in Kenya.  The people have been wonderful and Komaza has helped make our stay here very comfortable.  I have enjoyed working here and I feel I have captured some great footage that will make a great short documentary.

I am also excited to move on to another project.  Having worked almost every day and thought about the same thing for about 2 weeks, I am a bit burnt out.  A new place will suite me and will help stimulate some more creativity (I hope).  We leave tomorrow morning at 7am (10pm MST I believe) and we will get to Entebbe, Uganda at about 7pm at night.  We have a 5 hour layover in Nairobi and we hope to meet a friend at the airport.  Suchi came to Utah in April and we did a short video interview for a possible project for the Tipping Bucket.  He is based in Nairobi and is actually the Stake President here for the LDS church.  We hope to get some lunch and enjoy some conversation.

If not, I have my iPod.

Another thing that will be nice about Uganda is that I am not going to have to form the documentary in my head as we are shooting.  For Komaza, I feel responsible to develop the approach, style, pace, and narrative of the whole piece.  The pieces in Uganda are going to be short and about a specific thing and so pretty much all I have to do is let the camera do the work and document it.  It will be a neat chance to make it look as good as it can and I won't have to worry so much about the other stuff.  I still will because I am more or less a perfectionist, but the pressure will not be there.
The bad thing about Uganda is that I don't expect it to be nearly as organized and comfortable.  I still don't know who is picking us up from the airport or where we are staying.
Note to parents: Don't freak out.  I have telephone numbers and we have money.  Anything that we spend because of lack of organization should and will be covered by HELP.
We will really only be there a week though so we don't have too much to worry about.

I look forward to sharing our experiences with you and posting some videos.  Coming home will be good but also strange.  I feel that we have adapted to Africa quickly and quite well.  It will be fine though.  We adapt and move on.

I am also really enjoying watching the World Cup here with people from Africa.  I am glad that I am not in the USA where the World Cup is just a 30 sec update on the evening news.

3 comments:

Polly said...

I hope we can still get updates while you are in Uganda. Exciting, I wonder how it will be different from Kenya. Chris has watched several World Cup games. But the horns are driving me insane. It sounds like the TV has a hive of bees in it. Oh, and we have a patient with an emergency that can't come in during the games because he's watching them. Is it an emergency or not?

Noelley Belly said...

Travis! I can't believe you've already been in Africa this long. I wrote this on Becky's blog, but you should check out these songs dealing with the World Cup. "Wavin Flag" by K'Naan, and "Waka Waka" by Shakira. But don't watch the music video by Shakira, there is too much dancing in it. Blah. Anyways, enjoy Uganda while you're there! Time flies by way too fast.

Mary said...

Be safe! I know beckys said internet would be awful so to make us all feel better be safe...don't be crazy :) Missing you both a lot and can't wait till your ten days are up! Have fun!!