Wednesday, March 17, 2010

What is going on...

... in my hectic life? Well, there is plenty. First off, Africa is going well. We are in contact with Komaza in Kenya and have a phone or Skype interview with them next week to get more of the specifics of the exact schedule and any concerns that we have. We are aware of the most recent travel advisory and are going to be addressing that with Komaza. We are aware of the danger but I have also read most of the US Travel Agency's information on travel there. The northern areas are more dangerous while Nairobi and Mombasa (the main tourist areas) are fairly safe. We would be right north of Mombasa in a town called Kalifi at the headquarters of Komaza where we would be with other Americans, Canadians, British and native Kenyans who have lived there for the past 3-4 years. Still, we want to be safe. If any of you have concerns or questions, comment and we can relay that info on and then post it back to you to answer your questions. Or just talk over the phone or whatever. This is just a way to get all of the questions, concerns, hesitations, anticipations, etc our in open air so we can find solutions. Thanks for your help!

I interviewed for a short internship with BoomStartup because they are new and want to also have good media on their websites. I got the internship (aka work for free) and start this Friday filming some of the new company participants. This will (hopefully) be a good experience because of the networking opportunities. The guys who are helping start this new company recently sold their older company, Omniture, to Adobe for $1.8 billion. That is a whole lot. If I can network with these guys, I just might have a chance at scoring some good paying people that need help with their own company media or maybe training videos or something. I am also working in a team, but am the director and producer, and as such I get most of the credit.

More good news is that The Tipping Bucket has hired me as a paid intern for the summer. I am SUPER stoked about this one. They are my new favorite thing ever. They started their first funding project about a week ago and are half way there with 6 days to spare. If you read this please go to their site and help out with just $1 and please tell your families, friends, coworkers, neighbors and everybody else you can think of. This is a new company who needs your support. They are the best, economical approach to good development I could think of. Transparent, interactive, democratic. I really think they can change the world. So please, donate. Change the world or your money back. And I will be doing their media for the rest of the summer. How exciting!

My friend and I are also planning a new series for BYU TV International. They have a large latin audience but no latin specific programming. With the help of a great donor, they have some money to pursue new pilot shows and the executive director of BYUTVI is allowing us first shot at it. $25,000 to produce 4 half hour episodes of latin specific programming. We have a great program in mind and the executive was VERY excited with our idea. Right now it is going up through the bureaucracy to get OKed. I don't want to talk too much about it because it is not set in stone quite yet.

Other than that, I am just working, scholastic-ing, and spending time with my beautiful wife. I play basketball every Wed night. We have the scooter up and running. With part of our tax return we bought a new iMac (we really needed a new computer and this was one we could afford). I am filming a lot and am excited to get moving with all of this other stuff. My senior project is coming along well and things are good. I pray that they stay this way.

Well, if you were wondering what is going on in our lives, this is it. A long post full of new and exciting things. Thanks for your support!

3 comments:

Polly said...

Yeah Travis!! Thanks for the great post with lots of info and congrats on the opportunity with The Tipping Bucket! I now feel like I know a lot more of what's happening with you. It's awesome you can juggle so much stuff.

Marge Bjork said...

Congratulations on tip tip tipping bucket!

Nana B said...

What a wonderful post, I am excited for you and all of these opportunities. You will do well!!! Love to both you and Becky, Grandma Mary