Thursday, March 11, 2010

Well, its official...

... Becky and I are going to Africa. We had our final interview with the Peery Foundation and we got the confirmation email today telling us that we each got the grant to be able to go to Africa and profile a social entrepreneur and their work. We will probably go in early June. The social venture we decided on working with is Komaza They help subsistence farmers get access to a cash crop of fast growing, drought tolerant eucalyptus trees that they can farm and then sell. This helps them increase their profits bringing them out of poverty and bringing resources to the family (ie education, sanitation, etc).
Here is a short video I found by a person I have ended up admiring quite a bit for his work in documentary that is about a very similar thing to what we are doing (at least I imagine it as such).

Bio Shields - IDRC from jason taylor on Vimeo.


Becky and I still have a TON to learn and to do and we are excited to start. I feel like this is a true answer to many prayers and I hope to do my best in helping out with what I can.
Thanks for your support! We will keep you posted on progress with this.

P.S. Have you noticed how good I have been about posting? Pat on the back for me.

2 comments:

jess smart smiley said...

I love you guys :) I'm so happy this is working out for you---you deserve it.

Polly said...

You've posted three times since I've checked last. Amazing! I can't believe you got the scholarship it is totally awesome. Before you got married a friend of mine said how are you going to feel when Travis starts dragging your daughter all over the world? I didn't really give it much thought till now. I am nervous, you have no idea what your in for with Becky. I am excited too. How long of a film will you make? I have lots of questions!