Monday, March 8, 2010

So I will be writing more now...

... because apparently I am a bad writer. I met with my faculty advisor last week to follow up on my senior project (which is going to be GREAT) and he congratulated me on receiving some additional funding and then told me that though I was on the right track that I had a difficult time representing myself and what I was doing, mostly in my writing. I needed to be more concise but eloquent as well. He told me to read and write more so that is what I am going to be doing for the next while.

After this experience I thought about how I had always had more of a difficult time writing and depicting what I really think and feel. This also translates to my conversations and has recently made me extremely self-conscious. I feel like I need to look back at what I have said and see if it has context and is something that makes sense to the other person. I look into their faces in the hope that there is a glimmer of understanding. If not, I try to reword the sentence or make it more brief. Usually I think that I just dig myself deeper into the pit of no-conversational-return.

I feel that part of this is that I am pulling myself in too many directions. I am working 3 to 4 jobs always, working on at least 3 proposals, watching 2 internships and balancing all of that with 14 credit hours, church and of course, my lovely wife. Oh the joys of being a film-major. I do really enjoy it and I love being able to have my hands in so many cookie jars. I only have two steady jobs with the others coming in and out during the weekends and usually don't take more than 10 hrs to complete. School isn't too hard and I really only have like 6 credit hours I need to work on. The proposals do take a ton of my brainpower and when I get one done another starts right up (right now we are working on getting a project that has $25K behind it). So my life is not too crazy though it is busy.

I guess what I am trying to get to is that I have decided that I need to take more time to think, relax and better myself through literature and writing. I will have to let go of some of the responsibility that I feel for all these projects and give that time to myself. Becky is excited because now I have a huge stack of books to get through. I am also happy about that.

So, in summary, I am bettering who I am and by so doing, you will get a read a whole lot more from me most every day. Some topics that might come up are documentary, transcendence, technology, fishing, development, internships, and changing ideas about where we fit in. If you have a request of what I should talk about, leave a comment and I will get to it. Everyday is a lot for me, so I will get to it. Thanks for your help. Critiques are welcome as well!

3 comments:

Marge Bjork said...

yessssssss. I always love more blogs and journals and everything to read.

cole said...

nice, travis. this is good.
i think there is something magical to reading and writing that just makes us better people. it's actually something that i'm trying to make more a part of my life right now, as well.
in fact, I'm sort of writing a post about writing right now. go figure…

Polly said...

I would like you to write more about your school and work, details of what you are up to. I feel like there is always lots going on and I'm clueless. I'd also like you to post some of your work if you can. thanks