Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Jobs in a jobless market...

So I started looking for another job today. I work part time at Central Utah Gardens which is sweet and for the past couple months I have been also working on projects for school (school=free work for BYU). I have gained some very valuable experience however. The senior project and the multiple short docs that I have worked on for KBYU are valuable experience. While working at the gardens we were approached by Comcast advertising to do a commercial. They gave us a great rate and we obliged and then they gave us the script. It was terrible. Really bad. I knew that I could do better and so I did. I directed, produced, shot and edited these two spots for free pretty much because I just wanted to do better than Comcast. The result was that Comcast liked what I did and was impressed and today when I sent the final version of the commercial to the production manager I called him and asked for part-time work as well. He didn't answer and so I left a message which he immediately called me back. Corporate has made HUGE cutbacks and so the department has left the clients who spend less than $2000 a month with not great scripts and short shooting schedules. Because of this cutback, small commercials have been but way back. There is a huge pool of them that are not getting the attention they deserve. This is where I step in. Comcast would hire me as a freelance and send me to this pool (conveniently enough most of them live in Utah Valley) and I would give them the attention that they need. I get a nice slice of the pie and Comcast gets that pool again. This also gives me a chance to work in film for the rest of the summer, at least a bit. Nothing is certain, but they were quite excited to have me help out. I will give it a try and if it can pay enough and be frequent enough without too much stress, I could end up working like this for a bit. Today I am also talking to Ch 5 and Ch 2 about what work they have and am going to talk to BYUB and KBYU about work there. Despite the cutbacks and the supposed "jobless economy" I see work in my field, though unstable right now, proliferating. Neat, huh?

3 comments:

jess smart smiley said...

And THAT is how it's done! You're making big things happen and heaven knows we don't need any more stupid commercials.

Mikelle will tell you that she hates watching tv with me, 'cause I will sigh and go, "Oh my gosh. Think of all the time and money and people that went into making that terrible commercial. Oh, gosh..."

It's nice to know that our commercials are in good hands.

David and Carol Pitcher said...

This sounds interesting!!

Noelley Belly said...

Rock on brother! Way to be persuasive and go-getting (I couldn't think of the right word...proactive?). I'm excited to see them!