Friday, February 6, 2009

You asked for it...

So, awhile back I posted a new poll about which one was more important; sleep, food, love or pickles. Just so you know, pickles didn't win, though they did beat out food by one vote.

While pickles are fine, especially dill, we know that those other tree are really what is important.

Love.

I constantly find myself in a sort of debate. Love is a huge motivating factor in my life right now. It seems that most of my decisions are based on the promise of love or motivated out of love. I don't have a career yet, but I am trudging through school trying to do my best with the promise that I will be able to do something I love. I am not married, but dedicate most of my time to developing meaningful relationships. I can't save the world and I don't particularly enjoy my development classes (they are really hard) but I feel the need to try and learn humanitarian skills to help people that I feel I love, but don't even know.

What ends up happening is that I put those things that I love before anything else. Food is not prepared, it is scrounged up and eaten quickly. Sleep is postponed and cut early to make more time to spend with things I love. Other responsibilities and opportunities are put on hold just to develop one of these aspects of love.

I am not complaining.

I am just stating that love takes conscious effort.

Barbara De Angelis, who apparently is a P.H.d. in stuff like this, stated, "Love is a choice you make from moment to moment."

Simple, right? Yes and no. It is simple to want to make that choice and to initially but it becomes harder to stand by that choice because of the hard work that is associated with that choice. But I feel that it is always, ALWAYS worth it. Sacrifice food. Sacrifice sleep. Sacrifice time. Sacrifice fear. Sarcrifice youself. It is always worth it. And to tell you the truth, some things are very easy to follow through with. You might also find that instead of taking away some things, it gives you SO much more.

So thanks to all of those people who encourage me to develop more love. You all mean the world to me.

I love you.

(Break into chorus of this great song.)


4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am absolutely irrate! I consider myself a pickle aficionado and take it from some one who knows, pickles represent love and every other good characteristic that exists in the human psyche! I hope that it is well noted that I am diametrically opposed to the results of this poll.

travis pitcher said...

Despite your opinion, the poll holds the truth and it was 10 to 1 Love over Pickles. I understand the difficult "pickle" that we find ourselves in comparing the two and I hope you don't let your anger "ferment" but I had to hold to my promise.

Lauren said...

Travis,
Your puns made me cringe.

As far as the quote about love being something you choose over and over:
I have been thinking a lot about that lately, actually. People always say that righteousness & testimonies are things that you have to work on and constantly recommit yourself to. I absolutely think that love is the same way. You don't just start loving someone/something and continue that way without effort.
You keep loving someone/something, reaffirming that choice an infinite amount of times.

David and Carol Pitcher said...

Good thoughts everybody, well, except maybe Chris.?!? And I agree, but you college kids think way too much. Maybe you should be putting your time & efforts into your studies....hmmmm. Does that sound like a mom or what.