Thursday, August 12, 2010

I have been impressed lately...


... with Henry David Throeau.  You know, the guy that went and lived in the woods in a cabin by the lake for like a year and then wrote a book about it.  Yeah, that guy.  He had some neat ideas, like this one:


"Most of the luxuries and many of the so-called comforts of life are not only not indispensable, but positive hindrances to the elevation of mankind."

How interesting.  Besides being a philosopher and talking about man's constant need to minimize the "luxuries" and find what is truly important he was also a political activist (which I have been feeling recently).

"I ask for, not at once no government, but at once a better government"

I think that my mom would even like him.  He said that his "nose is [his] most predominant feature" which I know that she loves.  

Anyways, I should read some of his stuff.  On the list is Walden and Civil Disobedience.  

2 comments:

David and Carol Pitcher said...

Yes, I do like a good snoz but the eyes look into the sole.

Brad said...

if you like this you should check out some of John Muir's writings too.

I was told last week (by a professor at a screening of Zero Currency at UFVA conference actually) that HDT went to his sister's house for lunch everyday when he was on his radical "experiment" though. We all have our weaknesses I guess :)