Monday, July 12, 2010

Is technology ruining us...

... or building us? This is the question that I have been asking myself for awhile now. While I am in a field that technology drives, I often question the merits of such a career. I watched a Frontline documentary, Digital Nation, about this topic. I appreciated the opinion of one person who seemed to strike a good balance within the topic. Sherry Turkle is the Director of the M.I.T. Initiative on Technology and Self and had good things to say. Here is just something simple that she explores

I am grateful that I found that "stillness" that she talks about in movement. Early morning biking and longboarding along the Provo River Trail. Long hot afternoons with just my skateboard. Quiet evenings with my family. These "still" moments, though many times I was moving, provided me time to contemplate my place and what I really wanted. It provided me time to think of the way to get what I wanted. I could speculate, imagine, define, wander, or even pray during those moments and that is something that I consistently yearn for more now.
Life's lessons learned only to be relearned down the road.

No comments: