Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Writing is not my form...

... and that is why I am in Africa.  I do video as some of you regulars know and I don't write too much.

But today I am at the Heathrow, London UK airport and it is midnight and I have been here for almost 10 hours now.  Our flight starts checking in at 5am and so one of us has to be up to watch our luggage and stuff since it is all with us right now.  I am glad for Costa coffee houses that stay open 24 hours and though noisy, they are relatively safe and comfortable.

We are here today because we missed our flight to LA.  How did that happen?  Well, there was a mishap with our luggage.  It was left in Entebbe Uganda for some reason (I don't know).  We had three of the four check in's but were missing the fourth.  They told us that it would come up in time for our flight, so we put our trust in them.  Luckily the luggage missing was mostly just dirty cloths.  Our trust did pay off, but too late.  We arrived at the customary early time (2 hours) so that we could check in.  Since there are multiple terminals at Heathrow, we had to go to one to go through the long and arduous process of getting our bag back.  After we did we had to catch another train to get to the right terminal and then get all of our stuff up to the check-in station.  We were about 20 mins too late when we got there.

I started to freak out a bit while Becky stood in disbelief as if I were telling some sick joke.  We kept calm enough to understand what the United help desk was telling us though.  We would check back in the morning, at 5am, to see about a flight leaving towards Chicago then route back to SLC.  This routing would get us back about 10 hours later than the original flight but would get us back on Wed.  That was the good news.  He was even kind enough to book our flight to SLC from Chicago and give us our boarding passes.  This left me optimistic that we would be put on the flight to Chicago in the morning despite having "stand-by" status.

So here we are, in the airport at midnight with some other stragglers.  Everybody looks tired.  Becky is sleeping on the table and I am trying to pass the time.  This is the first time that I have missed a flight, but I don't know how we could have avoided it.  We did our best and luckily it will probably only cost us those 10 hours in the US and possibly some jet-lag sleep (I do have to work on Thurs and Fri).

Well, hopefully this will wear me out so I will sleep the way home and be alright.
We will see.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Poor travis, becky has never been very good at keeping watch so I can see you being in charge of that.

Marge Bjork said...

oh wear out just a little but not too much!