Sunday, May 23, 2010

An amazing biking video...

... showing how a city can be bike friendly. Wow. If only more cities had bike lanes on their streets. I think UDOT would have a fit if they had to shrink the size of their streets to put in a bike lane.



The thing is that biking in the Netherlands is very efficient and safe. Out of all of those people (who are very smart and concerned with their health and safety like modern Europeans are) who do you see wearing helmets? They don't have to because they have their own safety rules and actually follow them. There is a bicycle culture there, where here, it is just a sport. I recently was talking to Brad Woods of MadDog Cycles about biking culture and he completely agreed with me. Biking needs to be instilled in the culture of America and when that happens, there will be much more change than we could have imagined. So, go biking to the grocery store or school or to your neighbor's house or to work. Give it a try and see what happens.

5 comments:

Marge Bjork said...

that is my dream right there.

Becky Pitcher said...

That IS crazy awesome.
I thought you were exaggerating when you told me about this movie.

Brad said...

and wear your helmet!

Polly said...

this is not my dream. I do think more people should bike if they can, but don't force us. Where are all the kids? No one has bike carriers.

Noelley Belly said...

I need a bike first...